Wednesday 11 July 2007

World of Warcraft


Ok, this here is really weird. I just started playing World of Warcraft (WoW) today and I find it's ok, slightly better then I imagined. And the weirder thing is that I am a dedicated Guild Wars player, and Guild Wars players as a general rule can NEVER live with a WoW player, and I don't know how I'm dealing with the conflict of interests on this...

One is free to play, but you just have to purchase the original game. WoW on the other hand is on a subscription based module, at roughly RM60 a month plus the original WoW, plus the expansion pack, The Burning Crusade. On paper, Guild Wars wins hands down, and in reality, mostly it does too. But what sets Guild Wars and WoW apart are the backstories.

WoW, having been backed by the arguable wonderful Warcraft III and it's own expansion, The Frozen Throne had a full story to carry on with, and the story was nothing short of tense. You knew what each race were subjected to, what each race felt, what they can do, and what you MUST do, giving you a real sense of belonging in the game. You had a heritage, each race having their own hometown, beautifully crafted and poetically breathed the breath of life into. Guild Wars didn't have this, but their stories were good nonetheless, further added by two standalone packs for Guild Wars, Guild Wars : Factions and Guild Wars : Nightfall.

For now, I'm a dwarf hunter, (There's something about a short dude with range abilities and a big bushy beard...) and I'm just wondering around wherever it is I am, barely doing quests and just whacking random wolfs and the occasional rabbit. Find me if you're ever playing WoW, the names Samfisher in the Undermine(US) realm. Find me before I get bored of this game and move on to The Lord of The Rings Online : Shadows of Angmar. I hear it's a WoW beater.

See ya.

Character : Samfisher
Realm : Undermine (US)

No comments: